"Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8

Monday, April 19, 2010

Exciting Possibility

I have been doing a lot of thinking over the past few months and very in depth-ly over the last couple of weeks (yes, in-depthly) about what it is that the Lord has for me to do. I know that He has a special purpose for me in His plan and a place and task for me as a part of the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:1-31). I have been praying for this to be revealed to me. I am not absolutely certain yet what my calling is, but I know that the Lord empowers us all with natural tendencies, talents, and gifts through which we are to contribute to the glory of God and the expanding of His kingdom, according to the scripture, as well as my own experiences (I have found that we are equipped to handle what we are led into).

So looking to what I feel are talents and interests of mine, I have such a strong desire and pull toward baking and culinary endeavors. I have no idea how or if the Lord plans to use this, but I am oh-so drawn to it. I feel that the Lord has really given me a heart for feeding people and perhaps He plans to use this as a way to help feed the hungry. Speculating about His plans, however, has proven to be quite futile in my walk (I say this with a little chuckle). He always blows my mind and my limited idea and comprehension of what He'll do by proving that He has something much larger or totally different in mind.

So without trying to figure it all out and leaving it in His hands, I have come to what I think may be the next step in cultivating a baking/food-related pursuit: culinary or pastry school. Now, what is interesting about this idea is that as a teenager in high school, my plan was to get a business degree while pursuing a culinary degree in order open a restaurant! Very interesting - this is quite a recurring theme in my life.

Of the two, I would MUCH prefer pastry school. I definitely ere on the side of desserts, decorating cakes, etc. There are some culinary education options relatively nearby, however the problem was that I could not find any pastry school options anywhere close enough to be able to stay even in the state...

UNTIL TODAY! I had resigned to the fact that if I wanted to stay close to home, I would need to go to culinary school, where I knew I could still learn a lot. So today, I decided to look at the website of the community college near my home town, just to read up on their culinary arts program. To my excited, ecstatic, elated surprise, they have a pastry/baking program!!! I still can't believe it! No search I've ever done online for pastry schools has ever shown this - and apparently, somehow, it's a really good program! I am SOOO excited!

Earlier today, I called the admissions office to find out if some of my undergraduate non-major courses (you know - the no getting around them Englishes, histories, and maths) would count toward the program (which would be an associate degree, a certificate, or a training certificate, depending on which one I chose to do). Unfortunately, I couldn't find out very much today, but I sent in an info request on the pastry program page. Hopefully I'll hear something soon!!! I'll report on that soon!

I don't how or when I'll do this, but I feel so ready for it. As I browsed the curriculum of the program, I just got more and more excited. I feel like that was confirmation - the fact that I really WANT to go to the classes. I can't say for sure truthfully that I ever felt that way about the classes I took during my previous college years.

Anyway, we'll see how/if the Lord opens that door! I'm just so relieved to know that I can count on Him to lead me where He wants me to go, even if I can't see where that is yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment